Having just made 4 + 3/4 litres of my favourite soup: keto roasted tomato and garlic soup. I started thinking about what I could serve it with. I found this recipe for cheddar garlic dinner rolls – a fathead dough recipe. If I’m honest, I’ve had variable success with the standard fathead doughs but this one uses cheddar and butter. I was delighted with the results of this recipe as a first-time trial. They are soft, well-risen and a great texture to dunk in soup. This recipe is definitely one I will be making again. It is relatively easy to make following the method on the original recipe. Try it out especially if you like garlic. If you don’t, just brush with plain butter. They freeze and defrost well.
As I’m lactose intolerant, I don’t use whey protein but egg white protein powder works well as an alternative.
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 25 mins | Servings: 8
Nutrition for 1 roll: calories 230 | fat 15.9g | carbs 5.9g
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (I used a lactose-free cheddar cheese)
- 2 tbsp butter (I used a lactose-free butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unflavoured whey protein powder or egg white protein powder (I used egg white protein powder)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white
- 2 tbsp butter, melted (I used a lactose-free butter)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley (I used dried parsley)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C/157C fan-assisted.
- Line an 8-inch round baking dish with grease-proof paper or butter/oil.
- In a bowl, combine the grated cheese and butter. Melt in the microwave for 30 second increments, until the cheese and butter can be stirred together, and is an almost liquid consistency. (I found leaving a gap in between doing the microwave meant the cheese/butter mix did not over-heat).
- In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients: coconut flour, protein/ egg white powder, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- To the cheese mixture, stir in the eggs and egg white, until combined.
- Then, add the cheese mixture to the dry ingredients, use a spatula to ‘knead’ the mixture together until a dough forms.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. The dough will be quite sticky so lightly oil your hands and roll into 8 balls. Place in the prepared baking dish. (I found that by giving time for the coconut flour to absorb liquid it wasn’t sticky. I also used an ice-cream scoop to portion the dough, which it did perfectly. It made the process quicker. Then I shaped each one into a roll)
- Whisk together the ingredients for the garlic butter. I already had a prepared garlic butter that I had made in the fridge, which is the same as this recipe.
- Brush the about half of the garlic butter over the rolls, and then place in the oven.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until puffed, golden brown, and firm to the touch. (This timing was accurate)
- Remove the rolls from the oven and let cool for around 15 minutes. Remove the rolls from the pan, and break apart.
- Brush with the remaining garlic butter, and serve warm. I served mine with roasted tomato garlic soup. Enjoy!!