This is a recipe that I’ve been wanting to try for quite a while. It didn’t disappoint. It looks complex but is very simple. The pastry is excellent. The recipe didn’t give a baking tin size so I chose an 8 inch enamel dish. Our local markets don’t do chanterelle mushrooms hence the chestnut mushrooms which tend towards a subtle flavour. I would suggest that some bacon added to the filling would take this pie up to the next level. The filling is soft and delicious but don’t be alarmed when it is puffed up when it comes out of the oven – it sinks down to level as it cools. We had this pie hot with salad. We cut slices to take on a family picnic. It travels well, the pastry is truly excellent and the flavour is stronger when it’s cold. This is a versatile recipe and you can add different keto-friendly ingredients. A serving is a quarter of the pie and it’s very filling. Try it as it’s easy to make. Enjoy!
Nutrition per serving: calories 877 | carbs 11g | net carbs 9g | fat 80g | protein 28g
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 10 oz. mushrooms, chantarelles (I used chestnut mushrooms instead)
- 2 oz. butter, for frying (I used a plant-based butter)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 11⁄3 cups double cream (I used a plant-based double cream)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 185C/365F.
- Mix all the ingredients for the pie crust in a food processor, for around 1-2 minutes, until the dough is firm. Allow to rest in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough, about 1/4″ (1/2cm) thick, between two sheets of greaseproof paper. And place in a non-stick pie pan.
- Fry the mushrooms in butter until golden. Add thyme, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Whisk together the rest of the ingredients: eggs, parmesan cheese, and double cream, until well mixed. Then, pour into the pie crust.
- Next, add the mushrooms to the filling mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the pie gets a nice golden colour and the filling is set.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving, and enjoy!!
1 commentAdd Yours
[…] Keto cheese pie with mushrooms — essentialonion […]