This is the recipe where I got the idea for this meal from but used leftover cooked chicken instead of fish. It’s very much a ‘use up leftovers’ recipe. I used this peanut sauce recipe because the original Keto Thai Fish Bowls used a packet of branded Thai Coconut sauce which isn’t available in UK. This is a bit of a mix and match meal but actually it was delicious, really spicy without being hot. I also added steamed broccoli as that was another item in the vegetable tray that needed to be used. The final element in the keto bowl was a helping of year-old kimchi, a sprinkle of salted peanuts and coriander. I like this way of eating as it’s a way of portion control and makes me think about adding healthy elements.
Yields 4 servings
Chicken, veg and cauliflower rice (with the fish or with chicken): 293Kcals| Carbs 8g*| Fibre 2g| Net carbs 6g| Protein 21g| Fat 19g|Saturated fat: 12g|.
Please note that the original recipe included the Kevin’s sauce which is 5g Total Carbs/serving) 3.5 servings/pack. That’s included within the nutrition – so the overall Net Carbs will be lower as I’ve used the peanut sauce.
Peanut sauce/2 Tablespoons: 108 kcals| 2.5g net carbs| 4g protein.
Keto Thai Chicken Bowls
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Butter, or Avocado oil (for dairy-free) (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- ¼ cup finely chopped Shallots (I used a 1/4 cup of yellow onions)
- 1 ½ cup sliced White Mushrooms
- ¼ cup diced Red Bell Pepper (I had a yellow pepper in the fridge so diced a 1/4 cup)
- 1 packet Kevin’s Thai Coconut Sauce (I made the peanut sauce below as we had no ready-made sauce)
- 1 pound fresh or frozen Wild-Caught Alaskan Cod Fillets thawed (I used a pound of cooked shredded chicken)
- 2 cups warm cooked cauliflower rice (That was plenty for 3 of us)
- Melt ghee, butter, or oil in a 12-inch skillet until sizzling. Add shallots, red bell peppers, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- This is as far as I went with the recipe
Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter (sugar free, all natural)
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger (I used ginger paste)
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic (I used garlic paste)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh jalapeño pepper(I used jalapeño peppers out of a jar)
- Tbsp fish sauce (sugar free)
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar (sugar free)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp water (It was thick so I needed to add more water to get the right consistency)
- 2 Tbsp granulated erythritol sweetener (or to taste) (honey for Paleo) (I used one heaped teaspoon of erythritol)
- I combined all the ingredients in a pan, stirred over low heat with a wooden spoon. I tasted and adjusted depending on flavour and consistency.
- I added the shredded chicken to the Thai peanut sauce
- Then make up the Keto bowls with cauliflower rice, spoon shredded chicken and sauce in, add the sautéed vegetables over the cauliflower rice and a portion of steamed broccoli. I added a heaped tablespoon of Kimchi fermented vegetables that I made last year. I finished off with a sprinkle of salted peanuts.
- Sprinkle with coriander (Cilantro).