It’s been cold here in the UK, and I fancied a warm hearty chicken pot pie. I wanted to try a new keto pie crust and found this recipe. This seemed simple to make, and once cooked was buttery and had a nice crisp texture. The pie dough was easy to make, and it was just like a traditional pastry recipe. I made a quick chicken pie filling using up what we had in the fridge. The pie was delicious, and met all our needs: warm and filling.
This is a very good basic pie crust recipe to have in your cooking repertoire and is versatile, in that it can be used for sweet and savoury dishes. I think next time I will try making a key lime pie and see if it withstands the soggy bottom test. Only those of you who watch the Great British Bakeoff will understand what I mean.
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 12 mins | Servings: 12
Nutrition per serving: Calories 131 | Carbs 4g | Protein 4g | Fat 12g | Fibre 2g | Net Carbs 2g
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted (I used lactose-free butter)
- 1 large egg
Chicken Pie Filling: (this is a favourite family recipe)
- 1 small leek, finely chopped
- 600g chicken breast, diced
- 1 punnet of mushrooms
- 300g spinach, chopped
- 300ml homemade chicken bone broth
- 1 teaspoon, xanthan gum to thicken the sauce
- In a bowl, combine your pie crust dry ingredients and mix well.
- Next, add the melted butter and egg and mix until combined.
- Using your hands, shape the dough into a smooth ball and cover it with clingfilm.
- Place it in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch pie dish and set aside.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and remove the clingfilm.
- Place the ball of dough between two pieces of greaseproof paper and use a rolling pin to roll it out into 1/4 inch of thickness.
- You can either transfer the dough to a pie dish and blind bake for around 10-12 minutes, or you can add a filling and bake everything together.
(As I was making a chicken pie with a pie crust topping, I made the filling first and added the rolled pie dough on top).
- To make my filling, I melted some butter in a large pan.
- I then added leek, chicken, mushrooms, and seasoning.
- Cook for 10-12 mins until the chicken is browned, and the leeks softened.
- Next I added the chicken broth, and some spinach, as well as a teaspoon of xantham gum to thicken the mixture.
- Once cooked, I transferred the filling to my pie dish.
- Place the rolled dough on top of your filling, and press the edges of the dough to the side of the dish. Score the middle of the pie to allow steam out.
- Cook in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the pie crust is golden.
- Once cooked, remove your pie from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve and enjoy!!