It’s autumn and I felt the need for a spicy chilli con carne minus the beans to reduce the carbs. The whole family loves this recipe as it is rich and can be eaten in many ways. We don’t eat a lot of meat and buy grass-fed meat. As you can see we served it with cauliflower rice, shredded lettuce, cucumber, a few slices of red onion, tomatoes, sliced avocado and of course cheese. When you serve it as a bowl then you don’t need as much meat. The flavour improves in the fridge and it reheats well. Try it and enjoy.
Nutrition (150g serving): calories: 354, carbs: 5g, fat: 28g, saturated fat: 9g
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed (I used 1 clove instead)
- 2 small red chilli, finely chopped (I used 1 chilli, and added some chopped jalapeños)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pounds (1kg) ground minced beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 pound canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Place a pan over a high heat.
- Add the oil to the pan, along with the onion, garlic and chopped chillies. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chilli powder and salt, stir well.
- Add the mince, stirring continuously to break apart the meat. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add the tomato paste, paprika, cumin, and coriander, and stir well.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then add the canned diced tomatoes and black pepper.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer, and cook uncovered for around 20-30 minutes.
- Taste, and season your chilli with additional salt/pepper/chilli if needed.
- Serve with rice & enjoy!! (I served it with cauliflower rice with some chopped spinach in)