Yesterday we went out for lunch to the local Marketplace, as it has a wide range of food concessions to choose from. It was relaxing and also dog friendly. When it came to dinner time, I wanted something light as I wasn’t very hungry. I decided on this soup recipe as I’ve enjoyed food at Panera during trips to America. It also includes the recipe for chaffle croutons.
This was very simple to make and was ready to east in 30 minutes. The flavour of the soup is incredible; the creamy, cheese-smooth flavour is delicious and with a healthy portion of chopped broccoli, what more do you need. It contains only 6.5g of Net Carbs, so it made me feel less guilty about lunch. I toasted two slices of Seriously LowCarb seeded bread. It’s my go-to when I’m cutting my carb intake.
YIELD: 4 servings. Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 20 minutes. Total time:30 minutes
Nutritional information/portion: Serving size: 1 cup/ Kcalories: 389/ Total fat: 35g/ Saturated fat: 21g/ Unsaturated fat: 10g/ Cholesterol: 78mg/ Carbohydrates: 8g/ Net Carbs: 6.5g/Fibre: 1.5g/Protein: 10g
Pictorial overview of Ingredients and method:
- 1 tbsp butter (I used lactose-free butter)
- 1/4 c chopped onion
- 1/2 lbs fresh broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 2 tbsp grated carrots
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1/2 brick/ 4 oz cream cheese (I used lactose-free cream cheese)
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond or cashew milk (I used unsweetened coconut milk)
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 1 tsp ground mustard powder (I didn’t use this)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (I didn’t add salt until the soup was finished; cheese adds salt)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (I didn’t add this)
- 1 c (4 oz) grated sharp cheddar (or more to taste)
- In a large pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Be careful that it doesn’t burn.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add all the remaining soup ingredients except the grated cheddar
- Bring the soup to a low simmer; then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the grated cheese until melted.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to taste
- Serve garnished with extra cheese
- The recipe recommends garnishing with chaffle croutons (gives details on how to make them).
My Cavapoochon pup, Lola, decided the soup smelt delicious. She’s very keen on lactose-free cheese, given the opportunity. However, the soup contains onions and garlic powder, which are toxic for dogs. So she had to settle for her puppy biscuits with a little shredded chicken.