On Sunday I went for a walk in the local Mere Sands Wood. It’s a nature preserve that covers 42 hectares of woodland and wetlands with lakes, walking paths and wildlife viewing. I knew we were heading for a national lockdown so needed to walk in nature as an antidote to the barrage of bad news. It was wonderful, snowy and icy cold with the quietness that only comes from a snowy landscape. I saw many robins and heard the cacophony of noise from the many varieties of ducks and geese on the partially frozen mere. I have added a few photos.
After that, I needed a warming soup. This is one of the best soups I’ve ever made. It’s warming, thick and hearty which is just what I needed coming in from the cold. I also added a teaspoon of smoked paprika which I find adds a depth of flavour to soups and casseroles. The recipe is accurate and the carbs come from vegetables. It tastes very mediterranean. The recipe makes 10 servings.
Nutrition (1 serving = 1 cup): calories 79 | fat 2g |protein 2g | total carbs 11g | net carbs 8g | fibre 3g | sugar 5g
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 2 large bell peppers, diced finely (I used red peppers)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into 1 inch florets
- 2 cup of green beans, trimmed cut into 1 inch (I used the fine green beans)
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock) (I used vegetable stock)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 dried bay leaves (optional) (I didn’t use these)
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
- pinch of black pepper (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and peppers. Sauté for 7-10 minutes, until the onions are translucent and browned.
- Add the garlic to the pan, sauté until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower, green beans, chopped tomatoes, broth, and Italian seasoning.
- Taste, and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- If using, add the bay leaves.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for around 10-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and the soup thickens.