I wanted something different for dinner, I really enjoy ‘Tex-Mex’ food so this recipe seemed perfect. The combination of flavours was wonderful, the spices blended together to create a lovely sweet and smokey flavour with a kick of spice. The real winner however was the salsa recipe , they really weren’t exaggerating when they said it was restaurant style salsa. Trust me, once you make this version, you’ll never buy store bought again! It had a great authentic flavour and was so quick and easy to make. Just chuck it all together in a food processor, give it a light whizz, and voila it’s done! This is such a quick and easy recipe, especially for those nights you want something that isn’t complex and doesn’t take too long to cook. I loved everything about this meal, and its definitely a firm family favourite! Try it for yourself and enjoy!!
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 35 mins | Servings: 4
Nutrition per serving: Calories; 216 | Carbs: 4g | Net Carbs: 2g | Fibre: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sugar: 4g
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 ½ cups salsa (see ingredients below)
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (I used a lactose-free cheddar cheese)
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
Ingredients for Salsa
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsps diced jar jalapeno
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsps lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness.
- Season the chicken with the garlic salt, chili powder, and cumin. Set aside.
- To make the salsa, add all the ingredients to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Taste the salsa, and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Add additional lime juice, or jalapeños as desired. Note the longer it sits the spicier it will become.
- Pour ½ cup of salsa in the bottom of a baking dish and spread to coat the bottom.
- Place the chicken on top of the salsa.
- Pour the remaining salsa over the top of the chicken.
- Bake for around 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top of the chicken with cheese. Return to the oven for 3-4 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Sprinkle with coriander before serving.
- Serve & enjoy!! I had mine with a side of cauliflower rice, broccoli and green beans!