It’s nearly summer and I fancied something to suit the weather! I found this pulled pork recipe and BBQ sauce recipe. This is perfect BBQ food for when everyone’s around; its a crowd pleaser! The recipe is easy and clear to follow. The pork is tender and has a great kick of spice whilst still being a sweet and smokey flavour. The recipe makes plenty, there was only 3 of us so we had enough to last for lunch the next day. The recipe is versatile, the spices and seasonings can be adjusted to your liking, and the pork itself can be enjoyed in many ways. One family member had it in a salad, but I preferred a classic pulled pork sandwich! This is one of my favourites to date, and will definitely be making again! Try it and enjoy!!
Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 1 hour 5 mins | Servings: 10
Nutrition for the pulled pork (1 serving = 1/10th of recipe): Calories: 397 | Carbs: 2.1g | Total Carbs: 1.5g | Protein: 34.7g | Fat: 25.3g | Fibre: 0.6g
Nutrition for BBQ sauce (1 serving= 2tbsps): Calories: 17 | Carbs: 3.2g | Fibre: 0.1g | Total Carbs: 3.1g
Ingredients for the pulled pork:
- 3-4 lb pork (I used 2 pork fillets, approx 1.2kg)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 tablespoon bacon grease (or any oil/butter you prefer) (I used a mixture of lactose-free butter and extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 recipe of BBQ sauce (see below)
Ingredients for the BBQ sauce:
- ½ cup sugar-free ketchup
- 3 tablespoon Brown Sugar Swerve (I used 1 tbsp of erythritol)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tbsp liquid smoke optional (I didn’t use this)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- Pat the pork dry with kitchen roll, then dice into large chunks for faster cooking.
- Sprinkle generously all over with salt and pepper.
- Turn on the slow cooker, and heat the oil / butter. (I used the Ninja slow cooker programme)
- Once melted and hot, add half the pork chunks and brown on all sides.
- Place all the pork back in the pot and sprinkle with the chili powder, cumin, and garlic.
- Pour in the chicken stock and seal the lid.
- Set the slow cooker to manual high for 45 minutes.
- Whilst the pork is cooking, make your BBQ sauce.
- In a bowl, combine all the BBQ sauce ingredients, and whisk together until the sugar is dissolved. (I put all the ingredients in my Oxo dressing shaker, and shook well)
- Once the pork is cooked, allow the pressure to release naturally for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the pork to a large bowl and shred with two forks.
- Add the BBQ sauce and toss to combine.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!!