I made this a couple weeks ago when the weather was cold and grey. I fancied something comforting like a chicken pie. I’ve tried a few pie crust recipes but I saw this recipe and was keen to try it. The pie crust was very simple and easy to make. The cheese gave the crust a delicious flavour, and the texture was exactly how you would want a pie to be! I think I will try this again, only using the crust as a base this time, and see if it withstands the ‘soggy bottom’ test. (Hopefully you have all seen or heard of the Great British Bake Off and understand my reference!!). Try it and enjoy!
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Servings: 8
Nutrition per serving (60g): Calories: 192 | Total Carbs: 2g | Net Carbs: 1g | Fibre: 1g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Protein: 9g
- 3.5 ounces / 100g almond flour
- 4.5 ounces / 128g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 ounces / 57g unsalted butter (I used lactose-free butter)
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 170C/340F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the almond flour and parmesan cheese, and mix.
- Then, add the butter to the flour mixture and rub together, until there are no pieces of butter remaining.
- Next, add the egg and mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Form the dough mixture into a ball.
- Use the crust as a base or topping for your favourite savoury pie mix.
- Roll the dough flat. If using as the base, press the crust into the base and up the sides of a 9.5in pie dish. Prick with a fork.
- If using for the top crust, roll the dough flat, and place over the pie filling. Prick with a fork.
- Note: I made a savoury filling of cream, chicken, mushrooms, and half a small leek, thickened with Xantham gum.
- Bake for around 10-14 minutes, until the crust is cooked through, and golden.
- Serve and enjoy!!