I saw this recipe and decided to try it out at a family lunch. When we have lunch, we tend to lay out a buffet then people can sit at a table outside or in the house depending on the weather. We have an eclectic mix of dishes including a range of salads. For those who eat carbs, we have steamed organic new potatoes. This time the proteins were a side of salmon cooked in foil, thick and meaty bbq short ribs and roast chickens. I thought the broccoli salad would go down like a lead balloon! Not at all as at the end of the meal, the bowl of mixed salad was barely touched and the broccoli salad was all gone. That was a real surprise. In fact, I was hoping to have some as a snack. The recipe disappeared too. My review is that this recipe is delicious, crunchy and loved by all – at least in my family. Tips: make it early and let it marinate in the fridge. It doesn’t need bacon as that would ruin the fresh flavour. Keep the cubes of cheese small. This is a delicious way of eating broccoli. Try it and enjoy.
Prep time: 10 mins | Servings: 10
Nutrition (per serving 0.5 cup): Calories 266 | Fat 25g | Carbohydrates 4g | Fibre 2g | Total Carbs 2g | Protein 8g
- 8 cups fresh broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced finely
- 1/2 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds (I used pumpkin seeds)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed (I used a lactose-free cheese)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used a vegan mayo)
- 5 tablespoons low-carb sweetener (I didn’t add any sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled (I didn’t include this)
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, onion, and pumpkin seeds.
- For the dressing, mix the mayonnaise, sweetener and vinegar together until smooth.
- Stir the dressing into the salad, until well covered.
- Allow the salad to chill for around 3 hours. (It may not seem like enough dressing but after it chills the dressing marinates and is plenty). This also allows the flavours to meld.
- If using, stir in the bacon right before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve & enjoy!