I had some flaky pastry leftover from the recent Keto Chicken pie recipe blog.The pastry had been in the fridge for 3 days so was easier to handle. I decided to make small hand pies with it using chia berry jam and smooth peanut butter. That’s one of my favourite combinations. I used a 2.5 inch circular cutter. Each one had a teaspoon of peanut butter and a heaped teaspoon of chia seed berry jam in it. There was no bursting open of the pies. It made 8 hand pies and the pastry was soft and flaky. The cooking time was accurate and the pies were delicious. The recipe website gives three alternative flavours.
Prep time: 20 mins | Cook time: 30 mins | Servings: 8 hand pies
Pie Crust recipe:
- 96g almond flour
- 40g coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon or orange zest, optional
- 100g unsalted butter, cold (I used a lactose-free butter)
- 55g cream cheese, cold (I used a lactose-free soft cheese)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- egg wash, optional (for glossy finish)
- 8 heaped tsp chia berry jam
- 8 tsp peanut butter
- Make the pie crust, see recipe and method here.
- Whilst the pie dough is chilling, make the filling, see recipe & method here.
- Preheat oven to 390°F/200°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper or a baking mat. Set aside.
- Roll out pastry dough in between two sheets of parchment paper, lightly dusting with coconut flour as needed.
- Cut into rounds of desired size.
- Brush edges with egg wash and spoon a couple tablespoons of the filling to the center.
- Press edges together and fold or press down with a fork.
- Place hand pies in prepared tray, brush with egg wash and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden all over.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.