I’ve never had fried chicken here or in America as I’m gluten- and dairy-free but I’ve always wanted to try it. When I saw this recipe I knew I needed to make it. I used an air fryer to cook it and sprayed it before cooking with a little oil to help crisp the coating. The flavour was good from all the spices. The almond and parmesan coating was slightly crisp and the chicken was tender. I’m guessing if I deep-fried it then the coating would be crisper. However, I really enjoyed biting through the cheesy coating into the spicy tender chicken. This is a good recipe however you cook it. I will be making this again. Try it and enjoy.
Prep time: 20 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Servings: 6
Nutrition for 170g serving: calories 359 | carbs 1g | protein 44g | fat 18g | saturated fat 6g
- 2 pounds chicken thigh fillets (I used chicken breast)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp double cream (I used a plant-based double cream)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup parmesan finely grated
- Cut each chicken thigh fillet into evenly sized pieces and place into a bowl.
- Coat chicken in garlic powder, celery salt, hot chilli powder and dried oregano, mixing well to ensure all the chicken is covered. Leave to marinate for half an hour.
- Whisk the eggs and cream together. In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour and powdered parmesan, then pour onto a tray ready to bread the chicken.
- Turn the deep fryer to 180 degrees Celsius and allow to heat up. I decided to cook my chicken in an air fryer instead, so I skipped this step.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mix and the roll in the almond meal and parmesan mix. Set aside on a tray until ready to fry.
- Place chicken in the fryer basket, remembering not to over crowd the fryer, fry for around 5-7 mins or until golden brown. I skipped this step, I cooked my chicken for 15 minutes in an air fryer set at 200C.
- Once cooked, serve and enjoy!!