I don’t really do yogurt, fruit and granola but I am interested in the mediterranean diet. I made this for family members who are low carb and enjoy granola. This recipe is taken from ‘The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook -keto friendly’. I intend to try several recipes from this book over the few weeks as I should have more time.
The recipe was easy to make and came out well. I tried it, it’s crunchy and the flavour is good. My only comment is I would add some Keto sweetener. Family members really enjoyed it and said it is far better than commercial granola. It made enough to fill two litre containers so next time I will make a half quantity. It is very much worth trying. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 1 hour 10 – 1 hr 20 mins | Servings: 10
Nutrition: calories 329 | total carbs 11.8g | net carbs 4.1g | fibre 7.7g | protein 9.1g | fat 28.8g | saturated fat 10.6g
- 1 cup / 75g unsweetened fine coconut flakes
- 1 cup / 60g unsweetened large coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup / 38g flax meal
- 1/4 cup / 38g chia seeds
- 1/2 cup / 50g pecans, chopped
- 1 cup / 145g blanched almonds, roughly chopped or flaked almonds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground anise seed
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup / 83g light tahini
- 1/4 / 60ml coconut oil
- 2 large egg whites
- optional: unsweetened almond milk, coconut cream, coconut yoghurt, or full-fat goat’s yoghurt to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 265 F (130 C) or 110 C fan assisted. Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Place all the dry ingredients, including the lemon zest in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the tahini with the coconut oil. Then add to the dry ingredients, and mix to combine.
- Add the egg whites, and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture onto the lined baking tray, and crumble all over. Bake for 1 hour 10- 1 hour 20 mins, until golden.
- Remove from the oven, and let the clusters cool completely; they will crisp up as they cool.
- Serve on its own, or with a milk, yoghurt or cream of your choice. I chose to serve mine with some raspberries and yoghurt.