This recipe for chicken broccoli casserole is a real comfort food. It was cold, wet, and windy here yesterday. This was the type of food we needed! It’s a great balance between creamy cheese sauce, chicken, and broccoli. You don’t really need anything else with it, other than fresh baby spinach and some roasted brussel sprouts. The recipe serves 6 portions, but we divided it between four of us. It’s rich, creamy and satisfying. It would be quicker using rotisserie chicken, but we sautéed some chopped, raw chicken. It took around 20 minutes to make.
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 16 mins | Servings: 6
Nutrition: 1 serving = 1/6th of recipe | Calories: 493 kcak | Carbs: 6.1g | Fibre: 1.5g | Protein: 27.2g | Fat: 34.7g | Net carbs: 4.6g
- 1/4 cup butter, divided (I used lactose-free butter)
- 12 ounces broccoli , coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup double cream (I used a plant-based double cream)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided (I used lactose-free cheddar instead, as I don’t like mozzarella)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken (about 1 1/4 lbs)
- Put a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter. Once melted, add the broccoli and sauté until bright green and just tender, about 4 minutes. Remove the broccoli to a bowl.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan and add the garlic, cook for around 1 minute. Next, add the cream and bring to a simmer, cook until reduced by about half. This takes approx. 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese (mozzarella or cheddar) and all of the Parmesan until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then, stir in the broccoli and chicken, and top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat the grill (broiler). Set the pan about 6 inches from the heat and grill (broil) until the cheese is beginning to brown, around 2 to 5 minutes (depends on how intense your grill/broiler is).
- Serve with your favourite veg & enjoy!!