I occasionally like a plant-based yogurt, with blueberries for breakfast and have usually added chopped nuts or seeds to it. I need a crunch with it to contrast with the smoothness of the yogurt. This granola recipe is what was missing. It is easy to make and not only is it a great flavour and texture, but if you keep some bigger chunks it makes a good snack. It keeps well in an airtight container.
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Servings: 12
Nutrition (1/3 cup/40g serving): Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.42g | Protein: 6.2g | Fat: 15.53g | Fibre: 8.8g | Sugar: 1.66g|3.62 net carbs/serving
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped (2 oz/56.7 g) ( only had a few walnuts so used more almonds)
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, roughly chopped (2.5 oz/70.9 g)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, chopped to resemble oats (2 oz,/56.7 g) (This actually worked well)
- 1/3 cup whole pumpkin seeds (1.75 oz/49.6 g)
- 1/3 cup whole sunflower seeds (1/75 oz/49.6 g) (I only had mixed seeds so used 2 x 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup ground golden flax meal (1 oz/56/7g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries (I used these sugar-free dried cranberries)
- 1/4 cup Sukrin Clear or Gold Fiber Syrup (Vitafiber Fiber Yum, yacon syrup, or honey) (I used Sukrin Gold Fibre Syrup).
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee or melted coconut oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon low carb powdered sugar or powdered Swerve – omit if using honey (I used powdered Swerve)
- pinch or two of salt
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of cinnamon optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F/176C/156C (fan-assisted) and position the rack to the middle of the oven. Line a large sheet pan with a piece of parchment.
- Chop the nuts that need chopping. (I chopped the nuts by hand)
- Add all of the nuts, seeds, flax, and dried fruit if using, to a medium bowl and mix.
- Measure and pour the Sukrin Clear Fiber Syrup (Vitafiber, Fiber Yum or honey) over the nuts and seeds and mix thoroughly.
- Then, add the melted butter (or coconut oil), and mix. Next add a pinch or two of salt, powdered sweetener, and cinnamon if using, and mix once more.
- Distribute the low carb granola mixture evenly on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake until fragrant and slightly golden in color – around 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir and allow to cool completely before breaking up into large clumps. Store in an airtight container.
- Makes 4 cups with 12, 1/3 cup (40 g) servings. Each serving is 3.62 net carbs per serving.