The original recipe is cooked in an instant pot. I decided to use the Dutch oven as I don’t have an instant pot like the recipe. However, I followed the same process. It’s worth making the range of spice mixes linked below; the Cajun mix really enhanced the flavour of the gumbo. We can’t get andouille sausage here without ordering it from specialist butchers. Instead, I used Polish smoked sausage; it added to the flavour. If you add sausage check the carbs/100g on the package and then add this to the nutritional value. Mine added 3.25g of carbs to the whole dish. Rather than canned tomato sauce, I used passata (sieved tomatoes). I added diced celery half way through as the shopper needed to get it.
The gumbo was rich with a depth of flavour that was enhanced by the spice and smoky sausage. Adding the cauliflower rice made it a complete meal. I am not a great fan of prawns, but others were. Personally, I thought they didn’t add anything to the flavour. Next time I would leave them out. This was a warming rich meal. It says 7 servings, but has served 4 main meals here and one lunch. Try it as its a comforting meal, thats easily adaptable, choose the ingredients to suit yourself! To me it’s the sauce that is the real winner. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Servings: 7 cups
Nutrition for 1 cup of the original recipe without sausage: calories 220 | carbs 12g |Fibre 4g| net carbs 8g| fat 6g | saturated fat 1g | protein 31g
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, or extra virgin olive oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced (I used a green pepper, but any colour is fine!)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (I used 4 small cloves sliced)
- 1 1/2 tbsp cajun seasoning, see homemade recipe below (adjust to taste)
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce (I used passata instead)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 oz raw jumbo prawns (It said more but we only had 5oz frozen)
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- optional: 250g cooked smoked sausage (carbs 1.3g/100g)
Homemade Cajun seasoning:
- 2 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Heat oil in the dutch oven, over a medium heat.
- To a small bowl, add the cajun seasoning spices and mix, then set aside.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and garlic to the pot, cook for around 3-5 minutes until the chicken starts to brown.
- Next, add onion, bell pepper, celery, sausage (if using) and cajun seasoning to the pot. Stir for 1-2 minutes, so everything is coated in seasoning.
- Then, add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce (I used passata instead), chicken stock, and salt/pepper to taste. Stir until combined.
- Put the lid on and cook on a medium heat for around 10 minutes.
- Then, add in the prawns and cauliflower rice, and stir. Cook for around another 5 minutes, until the prawns are pink and cooked through.
- Serve & enjoy!!