It’s cold, wet and windy here. Last night I needed comfort food and didn’t want a complex recipe. I love cheesed broccoli so this recipe felt right – five ingredients. Having read the original recipe, I decided to keep my interpretation of the recipe simple. We had a bag of large broccoli florets in the freezer which needed using up. I decided to use vegetable stock and plant-based double cream. I’m lactose intolerant so always use lactose-free cheddar cheese. My philosophy with soup is put the main ingredients in the pan, bring to the boil then simmer for the allocated time; 15 minutes worked well. At this point, I liquidised the soup in the Ninja processor as it’s far more efficient than an immersion blender (our immersion blender blew up and we never replaced it). I like broccoli but not enough to have florets of it floating in my soup! Cheese soup should be smooth.
Once blended, it went back in the pan and the grated cheese was added slowly and stirred until melted and distributed throughout the soup; it didn’t need to be processed again. No extra seasoning was needed; it was perfect.
Soups should be served with a toasted sandwich. I’m not ashamed to admit that my sandwich was toasted cheese and onion – a perfect main course meal match! We doubled the serving size (2 cups each), so it served 4 adults. I will be making this soup again as it’s warming, satisfying and delicious. Try it!
Cook time: 20 minutes | Servings: 8 servings
Nutrition for 1 serving (1 cup): calories 292 | Fat 25g | Total carbs 5g | Net carbs 4g | Fibre 1g | Sugar 2g | Protein 13g
- 4 cups broccoli (cut into florets) (I used frozen broccoli)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock (I used vegetable stock)
- 1 cup double cream (I used Elmea plant-based double cream)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese (grated) (I used lactose-free cheese)
- In a pan sauté garlic for around 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable stock, double cream, and chopped broccoli.
- Increase the temperature and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat simmer for around 10-20 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- Optional: I chose to blend my soup, in the Ninja food processor. I like my soup to be smooth.
- Add the grated cheese gradually, stirring constantly, continue to stir until all the cheese is melted. Keep the soup at a low simmer.
- Once all the cheese is melted, remove the soup from the heat.
- Serve & enjoy!!