It is autumn and I need some Keto comfort. Making the topping with coconut flour made it tender and more like a soft scone (USA: biscuit) texture. The different cheeses in the topping enhance the flavour and worked well with the creamy chicken and vegetable mix. We loved it with steamed broccoli. It reheated very well at a low oven temperature with tinfoil over it; so we were able to enjoy it for a second meal. Try it as it’s delicious. You can find the recipe here. The original recipe says 8 servings but for us it was 6 servings.
Nutrition for 1 serving: Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.3g | Protein: 11.6g | Fat: 17g | Fiber: 2g
Chicken pot pie filling:
- 2 tbsps butter (I used a lactose-free butter)
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (I used carrots & mushrooms)
- 1/4 onion, diced (I used 1/2 a leek)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 heavy whipping/double cream (I used Elmlea plant-based double cream)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- pinch of thyme
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, diced. (I used 2 1/2 cups of raw chicken)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
Note: for the seasoning instead of poultry, rosemary and thyme, I chose to used herbs de province instead.
- 4 1/2 tbsp of butter, melted & cooled (I used a lactose-free butter)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp full fat sour cream (I used Elmlea plant-based double cream)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder (I used a gluten-free baking powder)
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, grated (I used a lactose-free cheese)
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, grated (I used Parmigiano-Reggiano instead which is very low lactose)
- Cook the chicken in the slow cooker for 3 hours on high, or 6 hours on low.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Sauté onion, mixed vegetables, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper in butter for around 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. I chose to also add some ham to my pot pie.
- Add the cream, chicken stock, poultry seasoning, thyme, and rosemary. (I chose to use Herbs de Provence, instead of the poultry seasoning, thyme and rosemary).
- Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the top and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Make sure to simmer covered as the liquid will evaporate otherwise. You need a lot of liquid for this recipe, otherwise, it will be dry.
- Add the diced chicken to the sauce.
- Next, begin to make the breading by combining cooled melted butter, eggs, salt, and sour cream in a bowl then whisk together. (I used a plant-based double cream instead of sour cream).
- Then add the coconut flour and baking powder, stir until combined and add in the cheese.
- Drop batter by dollops on top of the chicken pot pie. Be careful not to spread it out, as the coconut flour will absorb the liquid.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for around 15-20 minutes.
- Set oven to broil and move chicken pot pie to top shelf. Broil for 1-2 minutes, until the topping is nicely browned. Sprinkle dried parsley on top.