I have not eaten much ice-cream because of the lack of availability of low-carb, decent brands here. This ice-cream is addictive and delicious. I made the sugar-free condensed milk as it helps give a rich flavour and excellent texture. It wasn’t difficult, so I made a double quantity. The ice-cream recipe is from the All Day I Dream About Food website. It is worth making and storing extra in the freezer.
Nutrition for 1 serving: Calories 319, fat 31.4g, carbs 2.4g.
Ice cream: Ingredients
- 1 serving of Sugar-free condensed milk (see recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups double cream (I used a plant-based double cream)
- 3 tbsp powdered erythritol (I used erythritol crystals, as I don’t like the after-taste of powdered sweetener)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used 1 tsp of good quality vanilla extract).
- 1/8 tsp salt
- optional: 1 1/2 tbsp vodka (this helps reduce iciness)
Sugar-free condensed milk: Ingredients
See original recipe here:
Note: I doubled the recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups double cream (I doubled the recipe and used 3 cups of canned coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup powdered sweetener (I used 1 cup of erythritol crystals, I don’t like the after-taste of powdered sweetener)
- 2 tbsp butter (I used 4 tbsp of lactose-free butter)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (I used approx 3/4 tsp of xanthan gum)
Sugar-free condensed milk:
In a pan bring the double cream/coconut milk to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for around 30 minutes (30 minutes was accurate). There should be little bubbles along the edges the whole time, ensure that the cream/coconut milk continues to simmer, and not boil.
Remove the cream/coconut from the heat, and whisk in both the butter and sweetener, until dissolved.
Sprinkle xanthan gum onto the surface of the cream/coconut milk in very small amounts at a time, too much could cause lumps. Whisk vigorously after each addition until completely combined. Allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes. If the mixture is not quite thick enough, whisk in the additional xanthan gum. I covered it in cling film and placed in the fridge until needed.
Ice Cream method
Once the sugar-free condensed milk is cooled to room temperature, whisk in the vodka and salt until combined.
In a bowl, whisk together the double cream, powdered erythritol (I used erythritol crystals) and vanilla extract, until the mixture holds stiff peaks.
Add the condensed milk to the cream mixture, and fold until fully combined. Taste the mixture, and adjust the sweetness if needed.
Chill the mixture for at least an hour, or overnight. Then pour into an ice-cream maker, and churn according to the machines directions. (Note: make sure to check if your ice cream maker’s bowl needs to be frozen first).
Transfer into an airtight container, and freeze until the ice cream is firm, around 4 hours.