I saw this recipe, when we went out for Sunday lunch. It was in the gluten-free menu. One of our group who eats keto, asked for it without the bun, but with extra salad and a side of seasonal green vegetables tossed in butter. I was jealous but my gluten-free, roast turkey meal was delicious. It’s unusual to get a gluten-free carvery that includes all the trimmings. We travel to this restaurant about once a month. This is my take on it. It’s deconstructed as there is no bun. Just increase the amount of chicken, bacon and cheese for more people.
Ingredients (serves 3):
- 2 large chicken breasts -cut into 9 even pieces about half an inch thick so they cook evenly and don’t dry out
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper – a large pinch of each for the chicken (you don’t need much as there is bacon and cheese)
- Streaky or back bacon (I used 12 rashers of nitrite-free streaky bacon)
- 9 thin slices of cheese for the top of the chicken
- A mix of green seasonal vegetables -steamed (I used a organic cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts)
- Melted butter to toss the cooked vegetables in (I used a vegan butter alternative)
- A mixed salad to serve
Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan assisted.
Prepare the salad and green vegetables. This important as its quite a fast meal to make.
Heat up the olive oil in a skillet. Add the nine chicken pieces (burgers), season lightly and fry on each side to brown; I cooked it 3-4 minutes each side.
Place the bacon on a tray, ready to cook in the oven.
Place the skillet with the browned chicken in the oven; cover it with tinfoil.
Steam the green vegetables (6-8 minutes). I put the cabbage in to steam first for 2 minutes, then added another tier with the broccoli and Brussels sprouts.
Remove the chicken from the oven, and cover with cheese slices and replace the tinfoil. Switch the oven off, and place the chicken back inside, for the cheese to melt.
Place tray of bacon under the grill to crisp.
Drain the green vegetables well; mix together and toss in butter. Sprinkle lightly with pinch of salt.
Plate up, serve, and enjoy. This was carb-light and filling.